Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Before I loved a soldier, it was just an hour, it was just a phone call, it was just another day.
This morning it was 3600 seconds, and I loved every single one of them.
This morning it was not just a phone call, it was not "just" anything
This morning it was everything.
This morning his voice, his laugh, his "I love you baby" was everything I needed to face this day, to get through another week of waiting and worrying and missing him.  It came at the best possible time, I had a rough few days and there were so many emotions and thoughts going through me. The burden I was carrying  was getting almost unbearable. And then, the phone rang and just like that the burden was lighter, the day ahead no longer daunting.. It amazes me how he can make me feel so loved, so safe, and so comfortable from so far away. It amazes me that one little phone call can take me from stressed, sad, lonely and overwhelmed, to bursting with love and happiness. As soon as I heard his voice on the other end a smile came across my lips, and it will be there all day.
Some days I'm overwhelmed with the stress of the day, the burdens of being a single mother, and this whole dang deployment thing. But days like today  I'm overwhelmed with how much I love this man, and how powerful it is in both our lives. He makes me laugh, takes the burden off my shoulders, and reminds me of how amazing my life will be when he is finally home.
Back before I fell in love with a soldier I took the simple things like a phone call, a kiss, a conversation, for granted. Loving Kory has taught me to be grateful for so many things. I will never again take love for granted. I will cherish every hug from my girls, every smile and talk with a friend, every phone call from far away, every "I love you". When the man you love is halfway across the world you learn that the simple things aren't so simple anymore. They are gifts to be held close to your heart.
Sadly, this week there are a few families who will never get another phone call from their own soldiers. They won't ever get another hug, another smile, or the opportunity to say good bye. Before Kory left, I made sure to drink it all in. I took as many pictures as I could, memorized the way his hand felt in mine, the shape of his lips, the feeling of complete happiness I had waking up next to him. Now, I have to just make sure I make the most of every minute I get to talk to him, every email, and every I love you he says. It may not be much to other people, but to me, it's everything, and it's more than enough to get me through this year.
    So yes, a phone call made my day, in fact it made my whole week. I am so thankful for all 3600 seconds I got with Kory this morning and look forward to my next phone call. I have an amazing man who loves me, and selflessly serves our country. Some times it's a lot to handle, but I love my life as an army fiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment